Thursday, April 28, 2016

Today, He who suspended the earth in the waters is suspended on a cross.


Below are some hymns from the Matins of Holy and Great Friday, chanted on Holy Thursday Evening:

"As You permitted the transgressors to arrest You, Lord, You said to them, "Even though you struck the shepherd and scattered the sheep, namely My twelve Disciples, I could summon more than twelve legions of angels. But I forbear, so that the unknown and secret things that I showed you through My prophets may be fulfilled." Glory to You, O Lord!"

"He who covers himself with light as with a garment stood naked in judgment. He received blows to the cheeks from hands He had fashioned. And the unlawful people had the Lord of glory nailed to the Cross. Then the veil of the Temple was torn in two, and the sun hid itself, unable to watch this insult to God, before whom the universe trembles. Let us worship Him."

"Thus says the Lord to the Jews, "O my people, what have I done to you, how have I upset you? I gave sight to your blind; I cleansed your lepers; I raised the man who lay paralyzed on his bed. O my people, what have I done to you, and how have you repaid me? Instead of manna, you fed Me gall; instead of water, you gave Me vinegar; instead of loving Me, you nailed Me to the Cross. So, I will no longer hold back, but I will call My Gentiles, and they will glorify Me and the Father and the Spirit; and I will grant them eternal life."

"Today, He who suspended the earth in the waters is suspended on a cross.
The King of the Angels wears a crown of thorns. 
He who wraps the sky in clouds is wrapped in a fake purple robe. 
He who freed Adam in the Jordan accepts to be slapped. 
The Bridegroom of the Church is fixed with nails to the cross. 
The Son of the Virgin is pierced with a spear. 
We worship Your Passion, O Christ.
Show us also Your glorious Resurrection."

No comments: