Wednesday, October 28, 2015

What should God have done for us that He has not done?


What defence will we make before the Lord at the fearful hour of Judgment, if we are so careless about our salvation? What should God have done for us that He has not done? Have we not seen God the Word Himself humbled, in the form of a servant (Philipians 2:7), that we ourselves might become humble? And have we not seen His ineffable face spat upon, that we might not get angry when we are insulted or when we are rebuked? Have we not seen His holy back scourged, that we might be obedient in all things before our Abbots and the other monks? Have we not seen His face, which makes the earth tremble when He looks upon it (Psalm 103:32), slapped, that we might endure whenever we are attacked, and not become like wild beasts? Did we perhaps not hear Him say, “I do nothing of Myself,” and again, “I came not to do My will, but the will of the Father Who sent Me” [cf. St John 5:30-31], that we might not be impudent and self-willed? Did we perhaps not hear Him say: I do not disobey nor gainsay, “and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly of heart” (St. Matthew 11:29); and again: “I came not to be ministered unto, but to minister” (St Matthew 20:28); and further saying many similar things, that we might strive to be like this?

It is impossible for us to prosper and be saved in any other way than by imitating Christ in all things. I beseech you, my brethren, the chosen flock of Christ, let us be vigilant while we have the time. 

From St Ephraim the Syrian - Evergetinos

No comments: