Sunday, June 13, 2010

On the Sacraments...

I read this reply to a question regarding the number of Sacraments on an Orthodox forum, by a Russian Orthodox Priest, which grabbed my attention here. I think it is very appropriate and heartening...

...remember that the Orthodox Church does not necessarily enumerate the sacraments, but rather allows that everything that occurs within the Church is a sacrament. Thus whenever one member of the Church acts as a member of the Church, the grace of the Holy Spirit is present. Therefore if I, as an Orthodox Christian, give alms to a muslim beggar - it is a sacrament and the beggar is touched by grace even as I am. If I offer a meal blessing at a dinner where there are atheists present, it is a sacrament and everyone who partakes of that meal is touched by the grace of the Holy Spirit. Everything that the Church does - and everything that we do as members of the Church and in sympathy with the Holy Spirit is a sacrament.

1 comment:

AR said...

Very helpful, thanks.