Saturday, June 5, 2010

Glory to You, my God, for all things!

"To err is sub-human; to forgive, truely human"

Glory to You, my God, for revealing to me that everything happens for a reason,
even though I may not comprehend it with my mind.

Glory to You, my God, for everything happens under Your Providence,
never by chance or by luck.

Glory to You, my God, for not abandoning me when my soul is choking because of my sin,
You lift me out of my filth through tears of repentance.

Glory to You, my God, for accepting me into Your home,
when I make sin my home.

Glory to You, my God, for not rejecting me when my heart is
scattered among things that do not satisfy it.

Glory to You, my God, for not forgetting me,
when I forget You.

Glory to You, my God, for showing patience and mercy
waiting for my return.

Glory to You, my God, for showing me that it is my destiny
to become one of Your saints.

Glory to You, my God, for all things!

What shall we give to the Lord for all that he has given to us?
Psalm 116:1

2 comments:

Ρωμανός ~ Romanós said...

Amen, brother, and again, amen!
Only sinners like us can really know how deep the love of God can go.

Orthodox Christian Resources said...

Those who seek humility should bear in mind the three following
things: that they are the worst of sinners, that they are the most
despicable of all creatures since their state is an unnatural one,
and that they are even more pitiable than the demons, since they are slaves to the demons. You will also profit if you say this to yourself: how do I know what or how many other people's sins are,
or whether they are greater than or equal to my own? In our ignorance you and I , my soul, are worse than all men, we are dust
and ashes under their feet. How can I not regard myself as more
despicable than all other creatures, for they act in accordance with the nature they have been given, while I, owing to my innumerable sins, am in a state contrary to nature.

St. Gregory of Sinai, Philokalia, Vol. IV.