Monday, February 8, 2016

My Soul Thirsts for the Lord


Below is a song written by St Silouan the Athonite:

My soul thirsts for the Lord, 
and with tears do I seek Him.
How can I not seek You, 
For You sought me first,
And you granted me to delight in the sweetness of Your Holy Spirit.
My soul has loved you until now!

In the first year of my life in the Monastery, 
My soul encountered the Lord,
And this I learnt from the Holy Spirit,
That the Lord loves us greatly!

I have now grown old,
And I am preparing for death.
As a gift to all people,
I write the truth.

Oh, my brethren,
I fall on my knees and entreat you,
Believe in God,
Believe in the existence of the Holy Spirit,
Which bears witness concerning God,
To all of your Churches and in my soul.

I am a great sinner,
But I have seen the boundless Love and Mercy of the Lord.
The Gladsome and Meek sight of the Lord,
Has consumed my soul!

Oh, the Love of the Lord!
I am unable to describe it,
Because it is infinitely great and wonderful.
I will never forget You,
My soul yearns for You my Lord,
And with tears do I search for you.


-From St Silouan the Athonite, by Archimandrite Sophrony.
Amateur translation from the original Greek

No comments: